Scarborough To Filey Yorkshire 4
The colourful harbourside at Scarborough is steeped in history and has been the very heart of the Town, since it has existed. The first harbour built here was financed from the purse of Henry III who made a grant of 40 oaks from his woods to the men of Scarborough in 1225. Later in 1564 Queen Elizabeth granted £500, 100 tons of timber and 6 tons of iron for the harbour to be rebuilt. However it was King George II in 1732 who passed an act to enlarge the harbour by building Vincents Pier and the East Pier at cost of £12,000, the present piers we see today. Later at the beginning of the 19th century the West Pier was added and at this time there were upwards of 300 sailing ships at Scarborough. Scarborough had become one of the principal ship building centres on the East Coast. From 1785 to 1810, 209 ships were built with a tonnage of 35,683 tons. As many as 15 ships were launched in one year. In 1849, a company was formed to provide means for repairing ships at Scarborough and a floating dock was built capable of taking ships up to 300 tons. The Lighthouse built in 1804 is situated on Vincent Pier, the original lighthouse was severely damaged by those German Shells in 1914 and had to be rebuilt, it reopened in 1931. In 1787 there were 1,500 seamen belonging to the port, 500 of whom sailed with the East India Service. Exports included corn, butter, hams, bacon and salt fish and imports: coal, timber, hemp, flax, iron, brandy and wines.