Filey To Bridlington 77
This white (chalk) tower, is in fact the Old Lighthouse built in 1647 by John Matson, on behalf of Sir John Clayton, who had a Royal Charter to build five lighthouse along the east coast. It is the oldest complete lighthouse in England, but was never used. The deal that Clayton struck with King Charles II stipulated that he had to build all five before he could collect dues from passing ships, however he ran out of money and went bankrupt. It is octagonal in shape, made of chalk with a stone dressing, with four stages and a brick parapet and was designed to have a coal or brushwood fire lit on its top.