The earliest recorded vessel to be wrecked off the headland was in 1348 when La Katerine, a sailing boat, became stranded on the rocks during a raging storm. Between 1770 and 1806 one hundred and seventy five ships were wrecked off the headland (one every twelve weeks). In 1806 Trinity House were convinced that a lighthouse at Flamborough would help prevent numerous wrecks and the lighthouse was designed and built at a cost of £8000. On one of the three sides the reflectors were covered with red ruby glass, this was the first use of red glass in a lighthouse and represented the first use of the colour as part of a light characteristic and the idea was soon taken up elsewhere. According to a description of the lighthouse written in 1818, the red light was used to distinguish Flamborough's lighthouse from the one at Cromer. A Victorian pilot book used the mnemonic 'Two whites to one red indicates Flambro Head'. A clockwork motor revolved an oil lamp which warned shipping of the dangerous cliffs and was reportedly visible for twenty miles. In 1925 the tower was raised to its present height of 85 feet to accommodate a new 15-foot lens and it now stands at 250 feet above the waves. Finally in 1992 a 1000 watt halogen bulb was installed and the last lighthouse keepers left on the 8th May 1996 after automation.
Also here is the Headlands Family Restaurant - cafe - bar, which we can strongly recommend, very popular in the summer, it has to be on your itinerary if visiting Flamborough Head.