RAF Bempton has stood silent since it was abandoned in 1981, originally RAF Flamborough Head, a WW2 GCI Radar Site which opened in 1940, but was disbanded in 1945. After this it became an Air Ministry Experimental Station, and was established as a CHL/CHEL Radar station in 1949. It then transferred to Fighter Command and was rebuilt under the ROTOR program as a CEW ROTOR site with an underground R1 Bunker. It remained in this guise of the 146 Signals Unit till 1961 when it became a satellite of RAF Patrington (later RAF Holmpton). However it was not used as an active radar site after 1964 until its final closure in 1972. After being on care and maintenance for a number of years, the site was disposed of in 1981 and has been derelict since then. The site is in a very poor condition, with the underground bunker having suffered a severe fire and most of the surface buildings being in a very poor state of repair. The Guard House bungalow and emergency exit are going to be imminently demolished to seal the extensive underground areas. The concrete posts laid out in formation are part of a Cold War over-the-horizon-radar experiment, the apparatus has now gone and today just these concrete posts remain.